Sunday, March 19, 2017

The Great Barrier Reef

So this weekend. I had the pleasure of going to Cairn, Australia. Cairns is on the coast of North Eastern Australia and is best known for the Great Barrier Reef which I actually got to see.
Cairns from the Plane 

So when I flew into Cairns, the line for getting taxis was really long and taxis were very expensive. I decided to walk to Cairns which is only about 3 miles away from the Airport. It was hot and sticky but I was having a nice walk when about halfway there a mom pulled over onto the side of the road and offered me a ride. To be honest, this was really stupid but I was hot and I took her up on her offer. It turned out fine but I don’t recommend anyone doing this kind of thing because it is really risky. I made it to Cairns and I started walking around. I ended up at the Lagoon which is a local hangout that resembles a swimming pool.
The Lagoon

It cooled me off and I continues exploring the town. After seeing the harbor and walking around town I ended up at the mall because I was so hot. After drinking three bottles of water, I went swimsuit shopping which was fun and I ended up getting a new swimsuit. I then checked into the hostel that I was staying at. The hostel was great it had a VW bug just sitting in the common area and lots of cute things like a book exchange and giant Jenga constantly going. It looked like it came right our of the 70's
The retro hostel

After a quick rest, I wandered back to town and went to the night market which was a cute tourist shop under some of the bigger hotels near the beach. I didn’t buy anything but it was fun to talk to the shopkeepers and see all the Australian made things.

I then sat on the dock and watched the sunset while eating fish pizza and listening to live music. It was a really busy day but It was really fun.

On Saturday I went on a Great Barrier Reef tour with Compass Cruises. I didn’t know what to expect. The reef has been dying for years so I wanted to see it before it dies completely but didn’t know how it would look. Also, it was my first-time scuba diving so that was really exciting.
Getting Ready to Scuba

I started scuba diving and due to my Go Pro malfunctioning I didn’t get a lot of pictures but I will post extra pictures later. So the first thing I saw scuba diving was Nemo! I am not joking I saw an adult clownfish and a baby clownfish living on the Great Barrier reef. I learned afterward that this is actually really rare because a lot of the clownfish on the reef have been taken away to aquariums. I also got to hold a sea cucumber and touch a jellyfish and an anemone. It didn’t hurt it just startled me. I then got to snorkel over the reef.

It was the prettiest reef I have ever seen. The colors were amazing, the fish were huge and they were very friendly even coming right up to me at times.
Isn't it pretty

I saw parrot fish, barracuda (I think), and a lot of other huge fish. It was like swimming in a giant fish tank.
Rainbow Parrotfish

We went to another reef that was just as pretty but looked like the Reef in Finding Nemo, the drop off included. I didn’t get to see the turtles that live there but I didn’t mind because everything was so pretty. On the way back I tried boom netting which is the Australian equivalent of tubing except you just hold onto a giant rope net. It was really fun and I loved it.
All in all, I loved Cairns the town was beautiful and the reef was spectacular. I did a lot of firsts on this trip and had the best time.


1 comment:

  1. I was there in '87. It sounds like it has changed a lot. When we were there the only streets that were paved were along the waterfront. It reminded me of a town that you would expect to see in the Old West.The main hotel was along the waterfront and a row of trees separated it from the harbor. The trees were alive with fruit bats and every night at dusk, they would take off on their nightly patrols.
    Between Cairns and Port Douglas there was a zoological park where they raised all of the many lethal snakes that Australia is known for. They harvested the venom from these snakes to make anti- venom.

    ReplyDelete