Thursday, March 23, 2017

Australian Food

So a couple weekends ago a few friends and I decided to have a taste testing of Australian food. My really good friend Shanley cooked us amazing food and we introduced her to some American card games (Cards against Humanity) and a couple others.
Shanley! 

Sydney is the home to many different types of food. Food from all over the world basically. With a high number of immigrants, it is pretty easy to find all ethnicities represented here in Sydney (except decent Mexican food but I think I am a bit biased because of where I am from). Specifically, Asian food can basically be found everywhere. I am living in the Vietnamese part of town so that is a majority of what I have found near me but Chinatown and Thai town are not far which I have yet to try out. It’s on the todo list and I will talk about them later, I promise.
Anyway, there are a couple foods that are labeled strictly Australian food. Sausage rolls, Lamingtons, Vegemite and Tim Tams.  Shanley helped us (me and Lizzie, another American girl) try these foods.
Vegemite

First I will talk about Tim Tams which are a breakfast tea cookie. They can basically be found in every supermarket and everyone eats them here. They are covered in chocolate and filled with gelato. My favorite (and the local favorite) is the mint Tim Tams which taste exactly like Thin Mints. I love them.

Next, I tried Vegemite. Vegemite is a strong flavored butter which tastes a little like grease in the bottom of the frying pan. It is basically just yeast and salt. Most people put it on toast with basic butter here. I like the Vegemite but I think you need to use it in moderation because it is a very strong flavor. Lizzie really didn’t like the Vegemite but I actually liked it. I think it requires a special person to eat it.
A Vegemite Sandwich 

Shanley then made us Sausage rolls. These are just little meatloaves cooked in puff pastry. I liked these as well. They are best served with tomato sauce (ketchup). Again I think they require a special person but they were very good.
Sausage Rolls 

Lastly, I got to try Lamingtons. Lamingtons are cakes rolled in chocolate and covered in Coconut. I really liked these, even though I don’t particularly like coconut. They are usually served with coffee and can be eaten as desserts or like a breakfast pastry.
Lamingtons 

Other Sydney foods include shrimp(which can be gotten at the Fish Market for a decent price. It was really fun to learn to clean shrimp and have it fresh in homemade shrimp scampi, popcorn chicken, pie (meat and sweet pies),
This is an apple pie but I have gotten to try other pies too. They are everywhere here.

and fish and hot chips (they call french fries “hot chips” and normal chips “chips,” it can be a bit confusing at times). Also fun fact most people don't eat kangaroo. People usually think it is funny to feed Kangaroo to tourists, so of course, I had to try it.

Shrimp, which are called Prawns here, and Kangaroo



No comments:

Post a Comment