Sunday, May 21, 2017

Zoos

So while in Sydney I have had the opportunity to go to a lot of zoos. Australia has many famous animals like the koala and the kangaroo, but in reality, Australia is home to a unique ecosystem that can't be found in any other places in the world. Which mean that you get creatures like Marsupials, that are unique to Australia. Creatures that are found here are unique only to this island so you can't really even see native animals in other zoos across the world. Getting to see a koala was a must on my to-do list and within the first week I go up close and person with some of these awesome creatures.
The first week I was here I got to go to the Sydney aquarium in Darling Harbor. I got to see some really cool marine life as I described below. Later that week, I went to Sydney wildlife zoo which houses the largest collection of Australian wildlife in Sydney. It is an indoor zoo which was weird but it was still really fun. I got to see a ton of cool animals and it was my first time petting a wallaby. I got to see a platypus. Oh, there you are, Perry!
He's a Platypus, they don't do much
I watched an echidna, an Australian hedgehog/ porcupine, eat peanut butter for nearly an hour. They have super long tongues like anteaters but really flexible fingers and they would pick up the peanut butter with their paws and lick it off with their tongues. They are just about the cutest thing in the whole world.
They also house the largest saltwater crocodile in captivity.
He's Watching you
I also have been to the Featherdale park which is a wildlife park holding koalas, kangaroos, and a ton of other native animals, a lot like the desert museum in Tucson. The cool thing about this zoo is that you can actually pet and feed the animals.
Here I got to see quotas which are really cute little rats that live in Western Australia.
The last zoo that I have visited while I have been here, has been the Taronga zoo here in Sydney with my Grandma. The Taronga zoo is a lot like out bigger zoos in the US.
It has the big animals like elephants and large cats while still having the native animals. However, while most of our zoos in the states focus on animals from Africa this zoo had a majority of their animals from Asia. This was really interesting and different for me. I have never Asian elephants or the larger cats from Asia. There was also a really cool bird show where they had native birds fly over our heads. This was really cool to see.
It uses a rock to break open the egg
I also go to see a seal show which I again had never seen before (at least that I remember). The seals were really cute and very different than I was used to seeing in places like Seaworld.
Anyway, I just wanted to highlight the zoos that I have visited and all e interesting animals that I have seen. They definitively all made the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment