Thursday, February 23, 2017

First Few Days

The past few days have been a whirlwind so I apologize in advance for how long this post is going to be.

The plane ride was honestly one of the best I have ever had. I have the problem that I am never able to sleep on planes but thanks to a great family friend I was able to upgrade to business class and I slept really well. In business class, the seat turns into a bed which was super cool and allowed me to sleep most of the flight. The food was also really fancy and I even got to order from the menu which I have never done on a flight before.

When I arrived in Sydney around 9 o’clock; I was well rested and I made it through customs fairly easy. I caught a shuttle from the airport to my University and then waited to check into my room. That wait took a while and I ended up waiting around until finally getting into my room tired and grumpy around 2 o’clock. I unpacked and calmed down from the day. I love where I live. It reminds me of Brooklyn a little bit. Right outside my window is a view of the Sydney skyline and a beautiful oak tree. I always have the window open and love listening to the life of the city below me as I fall asleep. The rest of the day was spent meeting people in my apartment building and getting sheets at the local shopping center but I will talk about shopping here in Sydney a little later in the semester.
This is the view from my window 
The next morning I decided to explore. I had a map and was just going to go wherever the wind took me. I ended up walking to Darling Harbor. It was beautiful. I haven’t seen the ocean in a long time so it was kind of special to be walking and to smell the salt in the air and hear seagulls fighting over some fish before I even got to see the water.

Over the harbor is a massive bridge that you can walk over. When I was going over the bridge I looked down into the water and saw a moon Jelly about the size of my dog Chloe. Jellyfish are one of my favorite animals and it was my first time seeing one of them in the wild. I have yet to see a wild kangaroo but seeing wild jellyfish is still pretty special.
(I circled the Jellyfish so you can see it)
 I walked through downtown. The city is beautiful and relatively clean but I think the best way to describe it would be alive. The city always seems to be hopping. People are always going somewhere, usually fast, and usually in beautiful clothes. Again I will talk about the clothes of Sydney later in the semester. I walked past the Sydney tower which is kind of like the Space needle but it looks more like a pointy Q-tip.
Sydney tower
I stumbled upon St. Mary’s Cathedral which is gorgeous. It is longer than a football field and the ceiling was made out of this beautiful wood that was in a chevron pattern. I love exploring old churches.
St. Mary's 
Alright since you have ready a lot already and because I have gotten tired I am going to do this

...To Be Continued Bum Bum Bum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment